1. Who do you want to connect with? What are they interested in? What are they searching for?
2. Find your Voice. If you are using Twitter as part of your client attraction strategy, think about your 'Twitter Positioning'. In other words, what do you stand for and how do you want to be seen by other Tweeters? This will lead to your 'Twitter voice'. For example: informative, helpful, relaxed and humourous.
3. Be a Giver. People will follow you if you have something to give them. For example, helpful, useful and interesting tips and ideas.
4. People first, business second. Twitter is first and foremost a social network, so be sociable!
5. Reveal something about yourself. You are a unique and interesting human being. We want to know more about you, as a person.
6. Be Helpful. Recommend other Tweeters. ReTweet interesting stuff. Answer questions. Connect people to each other.
7. Engage with people, by joining in and becoming part of the conversation.
8. React now! Twitter works in real time. It is a continual flow of conversations, feedback, ideas and chit chat. Become part of the flow and react quickly to what's going on in the Twitterverse.
9. Your website. Upload helpful, useful and interesting material to your website, using a CMS (Content Management System). For example, 10 top tips, 'how to' guides, and case studies. From time to time, Tweet about this content and point your Twitter followers towards your website. Ask them to ReTweet (RT) these messages.
10. Commitment. Use Twitter regularly, i.e. every day.