In order to help you in working towards your brand exposure on Social Media am sharing a couple of pointers for you to start working towards:
- People do business with people. Hence what you need to make sure is that there is human touch to your entire online activities. Social Media is not and should not be a constraining factor to any business. The logic is very simple here on how to determine if your business should take the Social Media path. First and foremost check on who is your target audience. Your target audience decides if you should be on Social Media or not: If your customers are online then you 'may need to consider Social Media'. However this plain understanding is not enough to decide that you should be on Social Media space.
- Have a blog. Blogging is just not for personal usage. It is useful in business as well. Plan what is it that you will blog. Have a planed schedule as well of the topics that you will be blog about. Business blogging is a complex topic, and there will never be one magic formula that applies to all companies.
- Let your followers feel special. Allow them a peek preview at various things happening at your organization / brand.
- Share and be transparent. This is very essential in Social Media. Do not be anonymous, make it a point to reach out to your people online.
- Have fresh content. Have a schedule wherein you have marked out well before hand on the content and be consistent at posting. While working on Social Media it is important to maintain integrity and ethics. Blatant copy pasting someone else's hard work is just not correct. It could mar your professional credibility. You could loose out on potential clients and start to give out an image of yourself as not being genuine. Content curation is about appreciating and synthesizing work of others. Allow me to repeat myself: it is not about copy pasting someone's hard work; It is reviewing and filtering it is all about synthesizing. Content is the an additional main criteria. Know and understand what is relevant to your target audience. Mark out your topics well in advance on what you would want to discuss on the Social Media sites and blogs etc. Decide on what you want to be perceived as.
- Decide on keywords. It is essential for your to know your target audience and decide on the keywords that you are to maintain throughout your interactions online. Use on-page SEO [Search Engine Optimization].
- Have an escalation matrix to handle complain. Also have a plan of action for negative and rude language that people might use online with regards to your brand / business. When the comments are directly towards you at a personal level you may tend to re-act a little more strongly. When it is towards your business or brand then you at first step try to plan but yet could have a strong urge to re-act. Have a plan for spam that you will have to face.
- Interact and respond to people on your blog / Social Media sites. If you do promise to revert then make it a point to get back with appropriate information.
- Reward people. Your active and loyal members will enable your messages to spread. They will help you to see the correct perspective during discussion as well. They are precious, preserve them.
- Encourage members helping each other. When members interact they get more involved. Allow them to interact. Encourage this.
- Listen and monitor. This is extremely critical. Have tools and and have access to software that enable you to know who has written what about your business and brand.
- Connect and bond with persons of your industry. This is essential. Share knowledge. Our knowledge does not decrease if we share.
- Understand and know the various Social Media sites. To know their functionality and work within this is essential. For instance Twitter requires 140 characters however if you want that your matter gets re-Tweeted then you need to have 120 characters to be on safe side.
- Note that it is not the amount of followers it is the quality that matters. Remember that we have human beings connecting to us, so we need to approach our contacts on a humane level. Avoid copy pasting similar messages.
- Have tools to measure and track your activities. It is important to measure the ROI [Return On Investment].
- Keep in mind that Social Media is a good investment though it starts to reward you over a period of time. It is not a quick conversion getter. Establish yourself and your brand on the relevant Social Media sites.
Your turn: share your pointers as well to enhance small business endeavor on Social Media.